Thursday, October 22, 2009

Evan's Amazing Fruit, or Something Inconsequential



My husband and I got a white Ikea highchair for our son about three or four months ago, and I wanted to decorate the seat.  So with a permanent marker, I drew a bunch of crazy-looking rabbits that I was quite proud of, but then found to my dismay that after a few dozen wipes with a wet washcloth, the drawings came off--I don't know what kind of plastic Ikea uses to make these things, but it's good stuff.  All the food that's been smeared on it has wiped (or flaked) off with no problems at all.  (If you look closely, you can spot two of the rabbits in different stages of being rubbed off.)



A month or two later, I felt compelled to draw on the tray that came with the highchair.  I wanted to decorate something that didn't matter and wouldn't last long.  Perhaps it was because I had been working on too many projects that felt too important to make mistakes on.  Drawing Evan (the bunny-person in the beret and lacy collar) and his amazing flying 'fruit' was quite freeing.  FYI, the three different 'fruits' are (from top to bottom) a strawberry, a soybean, and a butternut squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment