Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My son, Jonathan, turned 9 months old yesterday. It's been just over a year now since the last entry was published (where did the time go?!), so I'd finally like to take the opportunity to upload another installment of "Ernest."
The newest picture is a watercolor of Ernest and his big brother Sam's pet weevil. This watercolor is one of my best yet, I think. Every one I complete feels richer in color than the one before it. The hamster ball was difficult--I wanted the background behind the ball to appear a bit distorted and 'fogged out' through the plastic. I think I got an okay result in the end, if not completely satisfying one. One of my favorite parts of the painting is the rug Ernest is laying on. The color scheme came from a sweater I inherited from one of my grandmothers. The sweater is old and worn, but I'm not ready to let go of it yet, and working on this painting gave me a good excuse to pull it out again.

2 comments:

  1. I love the vibrant colours, too. My favorite bit of the picture is his floppy rabbit friend. Does s/he have a name? I can't wait to see you tomorrow. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is gorgeous, Megan!

    ReplyDelete